Learn about bees and beekeeping: Helpful Resources
The resources on this page are aimed at helping you learn about bees and beekeeping. We hope you find this list of bee reference resources to be of some value.
Learn about Bees and Beekeeping Associations in Oregon
The Oregon Master Beekeeper Program represents a cooperative effort between Oregon State University and the Oregon State Beekeepers Association to contribute to both the health of honey bee colonies and the integrity of the practice of beekeeping throughout the region.
- The Program begins January of each calendar year. Typically new students are selected for the coming year around September. You must have submitted your intent to enter the program by this time. To do so, go to this link – Apprentice Class Waiting List
The OSU Honey Bee Lab conducts scientific research and engages in community outreach to help ensure the health and well-being of pollinators. They are a valuable resource for beekeepers as well as for community leaders and legislators wishing to learn more about what can be done to create sustainable environments.
Oregon State Beekeepers Association (OSBA) serves beekeepers throughout Oregon through its network of community branches. Branches are listed under Local Branches, with links to websites where applicable.
Washington State Beekeepers Association (WSBA) serves beekeepers throughout Washington through its network of community branches. Branches are listed under Local Orgs, with links to websites where applicable.
National & Regional Beekeeper Associations
- A non-profit educational beekeeping organization, focused primarily on the needs of beekeepers in western North America.
- An international, non-profit educational organization founded in 1955 for the promotion of bee culture and beekeeper education.
- The national beekeeping organization.
Bee Resources: Magazine and Online Bee Community Links
- The Magazine of American Beekeeping
- A magazine featuring news and practical information for both hobby and commercial beekeepers.
- Provides an online beekeeping forum where a range of beekeepers of varying levels of experience, can share information about beekeeping.
Bee Research and Advocacy Links
Specific to bees and pollinators
- A collaboration of efforts across the country aimed at better understanding what’s causing, and how to prevent, honey bee declines in the U.S.
- A coalition made up of almost 40 organizations and agencies from across food, agriculture, government, and conservation arenas.
- A non-profit organization dedicated exclusively to the protection and promotion of pollinators and their ecosystems.
- Provides support to beekeepers and pollinators by ensuring the enforcement of pesticide laws and regulations, and by providing guidance and tools to defend pollinators.
Associations with a broader environmental focus
- PAN is one of five regional centers in the world which works to challenge the global proliferation of pesticides.
- An international, science-based conservation organization that protects wildlife through the conservation of invertebrates and their habitats.